BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, January 9, 2009

New Books for a New Year

One of my resolutions (or goals, if you prefer) for the new year was to keep a log of the books I read in 2009. As 2008 drew to a close I had several books stacking up on the nightstand that I wanted to eventually get to. Then I received some more books from my wish list as Christmas gifts. I've compiled a list of those books, along with a few that I'd still like to purchase and a couple that I started last year and didn't finish. I don't normally start books and not finish them, but I guess a couple of hurricanes and a kitchen remodel are enough to disrupt anybody's schedule! It was a crazy year, my friends.

I like a variety of books, but I mostly read fiction. I also enjoy children's books and books geared toward younger readers. Recently I came across a quote by C.S. Lewis that described how I feel about children's books. He wrote, "It certainly is my opinion that a book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then." I agree - a good book is a good book at any age!

Ok, here's the list I'm working on now. I may add a few but I'm not planning on removing any.

2009 Reading List:

1. Brisingr – Christopher Paolini (currently reading)
2. The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne (begun in 2008)
3. The Year of Living Biblically – A.J. Jacobs (begun in 2008)
4. Middlemarch – George Eliot
5. The Mill on the Floss – George Eliot
6. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
7. Your Heart Belongs to Me – Dean Koontz
8. An Exact Replica of a Figment of my Imagination – Elizabeth McCracken
9. Crazy Love – Francis Chan

Young Reader Books:

1. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane – Kate Dicamillo
2. Coraline – Neil Gaiman (Thanks, Andrea for the
review on your blog. It made me want to read this one and Stardust!)
3. Stardust – Neil Gaiman
4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – C.S. Lewis
5. Bridge to Terabithia – Katherine Paterson
6. Jacob Have I Loved – Katherine Paterson

After posting this list on my Facebook page and asking for recommendations, these are the books that some of my friends like that I'm considering reading this year as well:

1. Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
2. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
3. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
4. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt


There were a couple of other books recommended but I don't want the list to be too overwhelming at first! These are the ones I thought I would enjoy most if I get everything else read.

Another general rule I have is to read the book before watching the movie based on the book. This list includes a few books whose movies I've already seen (in most cases I didn't realize it was based on a book). Also, the list contains books I've never read before, with one exception. I read Jacob Have I Loved back in junior high. I don't remember much about it, so I recently bought an inexpensive paperback copy and it made the list.

I thought it might be a good idea to post my reading list on my blog to find some other readers out there! I'd love to hear what you are reading, and please let me know which of these books you especially liked or didn't like. Also, go check out my pal Andrea's book blog for some great book reviews and suggestions.

Ah, I just love books! Happy reading!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's quite a reading list already! My Dad LOVES to read, he reads on average between 2 & 3 books a week!! I love the idea of books and the idea of reading, but rarely settle down to actually do it. Hence a book can take me months to read!
Happy reading!
xx

Andrea said...

I was going to recommend that you (beg you to) post more about books you've read. It looks like we have similar tastes and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the books you read! Half of the books on your lists are also on my lists for this year too! Now I'm all excited about reading, I'm going to go do that now ;-)

Dan & Hillary said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I need to get back to ready. I love reading but sometimes feel guilty for enjoying a quiet hour (or two) whilst my kitchen screams, "mop me!"

Stacey said...

Sharon - sometimes it can take me a while to read a book depending on how life is at the moment. Other times it can only take a day or two!

Andrea - Sorry to leave you waiting for so long! We'll have to compare notes as the year progresses.

Hillary - I hear you, sister. I do most of my reading at night when my hubby is asleep and all my work is done. That way I'm pretty guilt-free... unless I stay up too late and am groggy and lazy the next day!

Amy said...

Sounds like a good list. I also read Jacob Have I Loved in junior high. I vaguely remember liking it, but maybe that's just because most of the books we had to read in school were about boys. The only others I've read are Little Women and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, both read in about junior high, also. I started Pillars of the Earth because I'd read another book or two by Ken Folette, but I couldn't get past all the descriptions of rocks! :)

I look forward to hearing about the rest of them throughout the year.

Amy said...

Oh, and I love the quote from C.S. Lewis! How true it is ...

Anonymous said...

My goal is to finish the 2 books I got for Christmas...before next Christmas. Maybe my goal should be to finish reading everything in my nightstand that I have started but haven't finished. I just need more time!

Connie said...

I can't wait to hear what you think about Edward Tulane! It is such a sweet book and has such a good message, as do most of her books. My class is on pins and needles...we have only a few chapters left.

katdish said...

I really like the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. Actually, I like reading lots of different books geared toward younger readers. It started when my son kept asking me if he could read the Harry Potter series. I was a little sick of hearing some Christians telling me that anyone who read those books was going to hell in a handbasket, and I wanted to make sure they were okay before I let my son read them. They're among my favorite works of fiction I've ever read -- and I have read a TON of fiction! I just started Crazy Love (because I am an obedient sheep, and heck, I really need a reason to write MORE comments on other people's blogs).

Incidentally, if you like a good horror book, I recommend "The Bloody Axe" by Hucklebuck -- spellbinding!

andrea_jennine said...

Excellent! I have Coraline checked out from the library right now, but I haven't started it yet. I'm reading the latest by P.D. James right now; I love her stuff. Not a fan of George Eliot myself (or Victorian literature in general), but I know my opinion is far from universal. Gilead is slow and thoughtful, in a good way. It's been years since I read Pillars of the Earth, but I remember really liking it. Happy reading!